[Haskell-cafe] deepSeq vs rnf

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Fri Nov 24 07:03:40 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 02:47:20PM +0100, Björn Bringert wrote:
> I wanted to use the Strategies library and didn't understand much of it,
> so I sat down and documented it. The darcs version,
> http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/base/Control/Parallel/Strategies.hs
> has my changes.

Perhaps it would make sense to move all the NFData material to a new
module called, say, Control.NormalForm, and maybe add a deepSeq function
there.  Control.Parallel.Strategies is a somewhat surprising place to
find normal form functions, and most of the people who are using them
aren't thinking about parallelism.