portability of Data.ByteString.Lazy

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 07:28:33 EST 2006

Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:

> > > Data.ByteString.Lazy defines ByteString as a type synonym, and
> > > then uses that in instances, which isn't permitted by Haskell 98.

I recently sent some patches to the fps package, to enable it to build
with nhc98.  They simply change these instance decls to use the original
type name rather than the synonym.  (The original name was even in
scope, so there was no compelling reason to use the synonym in the first
place.)

Btw, my patches have not yet appeared in the official fps repo.  I think
dons was going to be responsible for pushing them into base at the next
merge point between fps and base.

Regards,
    Malcolm