proposal: add 'unsafeCoerce'

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 13:44:51 EST 2006

Hello,
I just wanted to point out that even the 'reasonable' uses of
'unsafeCoerce' (i.e., where a type does not appear directly in a
value) may not be compatible between different implementations.
Consider, for example, an implementation which turns a polymorphic
program into a monomorphic one by generating different versions of
functions for each of its instantiations (this is not a new idea).  In
particular, one also has to specialize constructor functions, which
amounts to specializing datatypes.   For example, 'Either at Int@Char'
and 'Either at Int@Bool' become completely separate types.  In addition,
we may choose to add only those constructors of a specialized type
that actually appear in the program. For example, 'Either at Int@Char'
may have both constructors 'Left at Int@Char' and 'Righ at Int@Char', while
'Either at Int@Bool' may only have a single constructor 'Right at Int@Bool'.
 Now, if we use an integer tag to distinguish constructors, then by
using 'unsafeCoerce' we may end up casting 'Left at Int@Char' into
'Right at Int@Bool'.
-Iavor