[Haskell-cafe] Guidelines for proposing library changes

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Fri Nov 10 04:03:21 EST 2006

On 11/9/06, Samuel Bronson <naesten at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/7/06, Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Samuel Bronson wrote:
>
> > > Well, you have to do it to your local repo, too. And if it is a
> > > --partial one, good luck! I can't even get --partial to grab me an
> > > older checkpoint properly :-(. Nevermind trying to reproduce the bug
> > > as simply as possible...
> >
> > Both Igloo and I have seen strange behaviour w.r.t. partial repositories with
> > GHC.  In my case, I find it hard to decide what is really a bug.  Igloo said
> > he'd try to reproduce a buggy case on a smaller repository, but we're keeping
> > him too busy with GHC :-)  If anyone else can help us out here - characterise a
> > bug report for the darcs folk - we'd be very grateful.
>
> Personally I was hoping lispy's simulations would turn something up...
> I already found one bug, but nobody seems to have looked at it yet
> :-(. But it wasn't the bug I was looking for.

These are not the bugs you are looking for. ;)

Some darcs bugs take a very long time to get fixed.  If something
about darcs bugs you I highly recommend you take a peek at the source
code.  Especially you Sam.  You know enough haskell to send in a patch
to GHC, surely you will find darcs grokable. :)

As for the darcs user simulator, lispy hasn't written the simulator
yet but he only has about 3 weeks left to do it.  And when it's
written it will be found here (in scala instead of haskell due to a
course requirement):
http://www.codersbase.com/index.php/DarcsSim

Jason