[Haskell-cafe] Guidelines for proposing library changes

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 07:59:10 EST 2006

Samuel Bronson wrote:
> On 10/31/06, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Donald,
>>
>> Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 11:58:26 AM, you wrote:
>>
>> > For the time being I've increased the libraries@ limit to 250k, inline
>> > with that for ghc-cvs and cvs-all at .
>>
>> can someone please explain me why we can't optimize dsarcs
>> repositories to make these ptaches a lot smaller. afaiu darcs system,
>> we need just to "tag" current state of repository and all subsequent
>> patches will be based on this tag instead of back-to-jan2006 whole
>> history.
>>
>> the same applies to ghc repository, where history now is
>> about 200k long!
>

> Well, you have to do it to your local repo, too. And if it is a
> --partial one, good luck! I can't even get --partial to grab me an
> older checkpoint properly :-(. Nevermind trying to reproduce the bug
> as simply as possible...

Both Igloo and I have seen strange behaviour w.r.t. partial repositories with
GHC.  In my case, I find it hard to decide what is really a bug.  Igloo said
he'd try to reproduce a buggy case on a smaller repository, but we're keeping
him too busy with GHC :-)  If anyone else can help us out here - characterise a
bug report for the darcs folk - we'd be very grateful.

Cheers,
	Simon