ANN: TextRegexLazy 0.44

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 05:09:59 EDT 2006

Chris Kuklewicz wrote:

> New Question: What do people think is the best way to use
> data/newtype/class to allow for
>   1) Different regex syntax as different types

perhaps modules.  (e.g. import Text.Regex.Posix.Extended)

>   2) Different target [Char] or ByteString

overloading

>   3) Different engine in the back end.

definitely modules for this one, because different engines might be provided by
separate packages.

I suspect that most uses of regexes don't care much about the engine used, and
one syntax covers most uses (e.g. extended regex.h, which is the default syntax
used by Text.Regex).  So Text.Regex should be mapped to something like
Text.Regex.Posix.Extended, with overloading to provide the =~ operator with
[Char] or ByteString.

Cheers,
	Simon