ANN: TextRegexLazy 0.44

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 07:53:29 EDT 2006

Hello Chris,

>> are you included Makefile? this makes building & installation somewhat
>> simpler for a user

> Yes, but the makefile is used just to compile Setup.hs to ./setup and tell the
> user to run that instead.

i've attached my Makefile. it somewhat simplifies building and
installation of any lib by requiring only "make install" to do all 3
steps. i think that compiling setup.hs into executable don't make much
sense - runghc is fast enough (comparing to real work perfromed by
setup.hs) and creating executable file is not compatible with such
systems as Hugs

>>> Question 2: Is there interest in getting this into an official release of the
>>> base libraries?  The Compat module could at least replace or sit alongside the
>>> performance sink of the current Text.Regex code.
>>
>> i'm 120% want to see ByteString, regular expressions matching for
>> String and ByteString, and JRegex (=~ operator implementation) to be
>> included in GHC 6.6

> That typeclass interface is very handy, BUT it expects the thing being matched
> against is a list of something.  This prevents making ByteString an instance of
> RegexLike.

> The answer will be to alter the type class to not make such an assumption.
> Luckily John Meacham put JRegex under the 3 clause BSD, so I will
>    * Make a modified version of the type classes
>    * Make Text.Regex.Lazy an instance of these type classes
>    * Port JRegex to be instances of these type classes (links to PCRE!)
> Then I or someone else can
>    * Implement an efficient instance of Bytestring being handled by PCRE.

regexps support for ByteStrings already exists:

> btw, what will be really useful now, imho, is the interface to
> Text.Regex. how about working on it as next stage?

This is already done actually, here:
    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/lambdabot/Lib/Regex.hsc
    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hmp3/Regex.hsc

well, i'm just dumb user telling what i want to see in GHC 6.6:

* regexp matching for Strings and ByteStrings
* perl-like syntax for doing it
* ability to select regexp engine for each matching operation and
using of most efficient ones (Lazy for String, posix or pcre (?) for
ByteString) by default

i also know that Simon Marlow want to see JRegex(-like) engine
included in 6.6 (see http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/710 )

what you mentioned is just implementation details for me, the dumb user :)

http://www.abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/bigpage.html

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com