[Haskell] System.FilePath survey

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Fri Feb 3 07:14:40 EST 2006

>     * Have you used the existing FilePath module

No, but I rolled my own (years ago)
http://dfa.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/auto/tool/haddock/Util-Datei.html

>     * Will you be happy with a library that represents the file path
> as String?

No.

(If I see data represented by String, chances are that someone forgot to
define an ADT. See Refactoring, Code smells, primitive obsession.)

> The disadvantage is that
> with the current IO library we should convert from ADT to String and
> back again each time when we have to do any IO.

Irrelevant for performance, I think. If I want to do heavy IO, then I'd
open a file (once) to get a handle, and use only the handle afterwards.

Best regards,
--
-- Johannes Waldmann -- Tel/Fax (0341) 3076 6479/80 --
---- http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ -------