RFC: general sequences

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Mon May 23 12:41:16 EDT 2005

Hello Ross,

Monday, May 23, 2005, 7:47:37 PM, you wrote:

RP> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:38:59PM +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>>  It would be great if we had a class for finite sequences with instances
>> Data.List, Data.Array, Data.Sequence. Maybe the new identifiers (<|), (|>)
>> and so on should be names of methods of a such a class instead of separate
>> functions.

RP> What would that buy us?  I can't think of many useful functions that
RP> would use that interface, what with (<|) lazy for lists and strict for the
other two, and (|>>) cheap for sequences and expensive for the other two.

at least, it will be great to have analogues of length, map, filter,
partition and a number of other operations defined in classes and
supported for variety of data structures. i think it's omission in H98
standard that this names belongs only to lists and not defined in some
classes like (+) and (>)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com