System.Time.Clock Design Issues

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Fri Feb 4 06:27:04 EST 2005

In article <420354F4.6030201 at imperial.ac.uk>,
 Keean Schupke <k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Why doesnt the library connect to one of the TAI clocks, and read the
> leap second table.

This means having to make network connections just to tell the time. Is
this a good idea?

> If the system clock is UTC the system must be running NTP and be connected
> to a network. If it is not running NTP the system time is more or less
> TAI anyway
> (no leap seconds occur without a networked time reference and NTP)

I think even people who don't use NTP set their clock to UTC at the time
they set it. You can call that TAI with a fixed offset if you want (and
an offset we can't discover), but the difference is probably less
significant than the clock drift, and in the long term they'll likely
eventually set it to UTC again.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA