Getting Cabal 1.1.1 working on Windows 98

Toby Allsopp toby at mi6.gen.nz
Tue Aug 9 05:53:27 EDT 2005

Krasimir Angelov <kr.angelov at gmail.com> writes:

> I think the right way is to use postConf hook in the Cabal's
> Setup.lhs. The hook should check whether the BUILD platform is Windows
> 98 and it can add shfolder to extra-libs field in the hooked build
> info. Currently I am not sure how to check whether the platform is
> Windows 98. After all the Setup.lhs should still run under Unix. I
> wonder how many people still use Windows 98 platform. In my opinion it
> is too unstable.

As far as I know, it's safe to link to shfolder on all versions of
Windows, so the test for Windows 98 specifically should be
unnecessary.  Only Windows generally needs to be tested for.  I see
that something like this has been done in package.conf.in, but I don't
see what that file is used for.

As for supporting Windows 98 at all, I wouldn't hold it against you if
ou just didn't bother.  I certainly wouldn't bother if I had a more
recent version to use or if I could persuade my customer (AKA my wife)
to use Linux.  It would make my life a little easier of it just worked
out of the box though :-)

Regards,
Toby.