System.FilePath propsal (Was: Cabal feedback notes)

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Fri Oct 29 05:21:17 EDT 2004

A remark on naming: I don't like names like "absolutizePath".

The "Path" suffix in fact expresses type (resp. module) information,
and I would think that it is typical for languages
*without* proper type resp. module system
to force programmers to simulate them by mere naming conventions.

So I would suggest to use qualified names (Path.absolutize).

Of course that's seems to be a general problem,
for instance, with insertFM, lookupFM.
But then, the FiniteMap module
is much older than hierachical namespaces.
But for Paths, the point is designing a new library,
so we should use the best techniques available.

In fact it's only one technique, qualified names -
the other candidate would be a type system
that allows static overloading...

Best regards, J. W.