Hierarchical name space allocation / classes

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Fri Apr 2 11:13:43 EST 2004

Dylan Thurston wrote:
> Perhaps the problem is that the classes proposed so far for sequences
> and other collections have been rather heavy-weight things with a lot
> of members.  Maybe if there were an interface that resisted the
> temptation to throw everything into the class you would be happier?

Yes maybe

> So how do you feel about the Num heirarchy?

It is probably the best possible solution if you use (various) ints and
reals simultaneously. But sometimes the class(es) (and defaulting) bites
you (if you are a beginner). In 90 percent of the cases I would be happy
with Int only (and would be unhappy without overloading for the
remaining 10 percent).

Christian