Foreign.GreenCard.StdDIS (was Re: X11 libraries)

Alastair Reid alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Thu, 15 May 2003 15:11:37 +0100

When I got back to work on putting an HGL release together, I realized that
I'd have to do a fresh release of GreenCard first since it has a bunch of
updates to work with hierarchial names, ffi, etc.  The GreenCard distrib
contains what ought to be the master copy of the StdDIS.{gc,hs} so I figure
it ought to be made a proper library package, put in the hierarchial library
namespace, etc.  Obvious places to put it in the library hierarchy are:

  Foreign.GreenCard.StdDIS.hs
  GreenCard.StdDIS.hs
  Apps.GreenCard.StdDIS.hs
  <SomeOtherPrefix>.GreenCard.StdDIS.hs

A variant on this is to recognize that this is the only file in the library
and drop the trailing /StdDIS:

  Foreign.GreenCard.hs
  GreenCard.hs
  Apps.GreenCard.hs
  <SomeOtherPrefix>.GreenCard.hs

Any opinions?

(btw it seems like we might see more apps with support libraries -especially
if the app generates Haskell code- so this may be an instance of a more
general problem.)

[btw GreenCard raises an additional issue for any library building/ packaging
infrastructure.  If you want to use GreenCard, you need StdDIS.gc and (the
makefile which invokes) GreenCard needs to know where to find it.  So we need
a standard place for it to live or a way to locate it once installed.]

--
Alastair

Alastair Reid mentioned: