Hierarchical libraries document updated

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Thu, 15 May 2003 10:34:26 +0100

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> I've updated the document at
>   http://www.haskell.org/~simonmar/libraries/libraries.html
> to reflect some changes in how the libraries situation is evolving.

The latest version of the libraries document is looking good, and
thanks for keeping it rolling Simon.

In the section on Portability, bit-wise operations (i.e. Data.Bits)
are noted as non-portable, yet as far as I'm aware they are supported
by all the implementations now.  Would anyone object if I move that
bullet item to the section on "extensions that can be assumed portable"?

Also, in section 4.4, the allocation of libraries to maintainers is
a somewhat rough approximation, I'd say.  No doubt we can gradually
refine it.  For instance, Debug.QuickCheck.* is currently allocated to
this mailing list, but I'm sure it should really be under the control
of John Hughes and Koen Claessen - I know that they are planning a new
release soon.

I have never heard of the System.DL library before, and couldn't
guess from the name what functionality it aimed to provide.  I had
to go look at the source code to determine what it does!  A definite
candidate for clearer naming - I would suggest System.DynamicLinker
or something along those lines.

Regards,
    Malcolm