[Haskell-iPhone] Clarifications on building from source on Lion

Stephen Blackheath [to GHC-iPhone] likeliest.complexions.stephen at blacksapphire.com
Mon Jan 16 22:42:18 CET 2012

Nathan,

On 15/01/12 23:02, Nathan Sorenson wrote:
> I'm stuck with OS 10.7, and I'm not sure if it's possible to build
> ghc-iphone or not with the new llvm compilers.

I haven't tried. The old GHC-6.10.4 version doesn't use llvm.

> To clarify the build process: does the source of this project consist of
> the 25 patches in the snow leopard directory? Do I force all these
> patches to apply to GHC 6.10.4, or do I only apply the patches that are
> specified for this version (i.e. patch 22 is for 6.10.4, but most seem
> to be for 6.10.2).

That's right. There's a fairly old document that explains it:

http://projects.haskell.org/ghc-iphone/downloads/GHC-iPhone.pdf

> Supposing I get this to build, is there any hope that compiling against
> the new iOS 5.0 sdk (using the llvm c compilers) will work, or should I
> just wait for this new ghc 7 cross compiling port to be finished?

The new version should definitely before the end of February, and
hopefully sooner. In the meantime, this info from a previous post may be
helpful:

William,

1. Take the patches from here...

http://projects.haskell.org/ghc-iphone/downloads/patch.snowleopard/

2. Read the README.SnowLeopard file.

3. Then install according to the instructions in GHC-iPhone.pdf (which
is a little old), except that you use ghc version 6.10.4 in all cases.

config-iphone.sh is created by applying the patches.

http://projects.haskell.org/ghc-iphone/downloads/GHC-iPhone.pdf

Steve