[Haskell-iPhone] ghc-iphone and GHC 7.0.2

Mark Wotton mwotton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 00:49:03 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:14 AM, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Mark Wotton <mwotton at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> What model are you thinking of?
>

> Ideally, I'd like to do as much coding in Haskell as possible.  Even when I
> wrote Mesa (http://www.plsys.co.uk/mesa.htm ) back in the day, I used as
> much C++ (of the then-available Objective-C++) as I could for type safety
> and performance.  I used the Objective-C stuff for UI and for external APIs
> (to avoid the C++ fragility).  Going back to Obj-C and seeing how it has not
> progressed materially since 1994 when I last spent time with it makes me
> want to use it even less (wow... this is turning into a full-blown rant
> against Obj-C... sorry for offending the Obj-C lovers in the audience.)  So,
> my goal is to have as much of my code as possible in Haskell with very thin
> layers for bridging to IB.

Sure, that's a given, but are you thinking of a thin obj-c skin for the GUI
code calling haskell to do the heavy lifting, or of having haskell know the
intimate details of the cocoa apis and managing window composition etc
itself?

merits to both, i guess. in my highly uneducated opinion, i think HOC might
have tried to do too much - it had a lot of interesting stuff in there but
was usually a bear to get working.

mark

--
A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent of a
black velvet clown painting. It's a rectangle of carets surrounding a