[HOpenGL] Back again

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 08:56:51 CEST 2013

2013/8/11 L Corbijn <aspergesoepje at gmail.com>:
> [...] nor could I choose an xml library
> (it seems that there are too many of them out there, suggestions are
> welcome).

That's my impression, too: XML parsing in Haskell is somehow in a
pitiful state, caused by what I consider unhealthy competition. :-/
There are tons of competing libraries and tools out there, but it is
very hard to see which projects are mature/dead/usable, which handle
the given use case, which have helpful up-to-date
documentation/tutorials, etc.

For our use case, things should be very simple: There is a Relax NG
schema (registry.rnc) and we need a corresponding bunch of Haskell
data types generated from that plus a validating parser. Of course one
could write the former by hand and hack together the latter, but I
have the feeling that there is already a solution out there. Hints are
highly appreciated.

> Generating (un)marshalling code is quite a bit harder, but I think
> doable for quite some functions. [...]

I think that generating (un)marshalling code should be a non-goal of
the generator. It is exactly that point where one needs to think about
sensible abstractions, data types, etc. In its current state, the XML
registry is unusable even for the relatively simple task of automatic
generation of data types, because the <groups> / <group> support is
basically the same as it was before with the .spec files, i.e.: none.
:-P

Generating the enumerant values and the API entries automatically,
structured in a way that follows the <feature> tags, would already be
tremendously helpful.