[HOpenGL] OpenGL 1 and 2 support (was RE: Hello HOpenGL)

Sam Martin sam.martin at geomerics.com
Thu Jun 16 10:59:29 CEST 2011

This was the only thing that jumped out at me in Alexander’s blog post.
>> Also I'm against dropping OpenGL 2.0
>> support, though that's a lesser problem if the new bindings is a
>> different package. I don't remember getting any reply on that.

Having a new package that only focuses on more recent OpenGL support (i.e. 3 or 4) could well be a good idea. Having a smaller support window would, I imagine, allow the package to be more focused. Good things for those interested in working on high end graphics.

However, I’m definitely not in favour of seeing dropping OpenGL 1 or 2 support disappear entirely. These APIs will be significant for a number of years to come, particularly on mobile devices.

I’m not totally sure if this is what is on the cards though. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks,
Sam