[HOpenGL] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: OpenGLRaw 1.0.0.0

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Wed Jun 17 14:01:05 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Sven Panne <Sven.Panne at aedion.de> wrote:

> A few final remarks: Leaving out "Graphics." completely would be a very bad
> idea, the naming hierarchy should reflect the underlying conceptual
> hierarchy.
> The only problem with hierarchies in general is that sometimes the position
> in
> it is not very clear.

Clay Shirky's points in include that this "sometimes" is more like "nearly
always", and that the heart of the problem is "the" in "the position" (in a
hierarchy).  This problem and others discussed at
http://www.shirky.com/writings/ontology_overrated.html .

I have e.g. never fully understood why "Monad" and "Applicative" are below
> "Control", but "Foldable" is below "Data"...

Monoid as well.  Type classes in general cut across distinctions like
Control and Data, so I don't think we'll ever have a comfortable place to
put them in the existing hierarchy.  If anything, I recommend the top-level
name "Class".

  - Conal