[Hat] Visualising Program Traces With Hat

Olaf Chitil O.Chitil at kent.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 10:13:08 EDT 2008

Hello Noah,

it is great to hear that Hat inspired you to transfer it to Python. I'm
not familiar with Python, but it differs from Haskell in several ways
which you will have to take into account. Haskell has a simple graph
rewriting semantics and uses algebraic data types. The first is
essential for the definition of the Hat trace structure, the second
substantially influences the trace structure and the program
transformation. So you have to see whether the Hat trace structure fits
Python. Our program transformation also uses the fact that Haskell is a
non-strict language. It may be easier to first build a system for a tiny
subset of Python that is inspired by Hat but doesn't actually use it.

Ciao,
Olaf