[Hat] Re: Packages & hat-trans output

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Sat Oct 7 06:08:14 EDT 2006

"Michael McDermott" <mcdermott.michaelj at gmail.com> writes:

> I have been working on a Gentoo ebuild for Hat and ran across a few issues.
> First, it is the cabal package (not hat-package.conf) that needs to be piped
> to ghc-pgk register - to register the package (which is easy enough to work
> around). Futhermore, the file is somewhat incomplete.  For example, if the
> import-dirs field is not added, then GHC is unable to find Hat's classes.

Thanks for these reports.  We will look into fixing those.

> ghc     -package hat  -o Insert Hat/Insert.o
> Hat/Insert.o: In function `r2iZ_info':
> : undefined reference to `HatziHat_mkModule_closure'
> Hat/Insert.o: In function `HatziInsert_asort_info':
> : undefined reference to `HatziHat_mkVariable_closure'
> Hat/Insert.o: In function `HatziInsert_ainsert_info':
>
> I am presuming that HatziInsert_ainsert_info, etc. are functions in
> libraries or headers that should be linked to the program, but, if so, where
> are they?

"HatziInsert_ainsert_info" is the (traced) function Insert.ainsert in
the program you are trying to compile.  The error is that this function
uses (by reference) the functions Hat.Hat.mkModule and Hat.Hat.mkVariable.
Both of those are defined in the hat library Hat.Hat, and should be
available to the compiler by the "-package hat" flag.  I don't know why
this is failing.  What version of ghc?  Were there any linking errors
when the hat package was built?

Regards,
    Malcolm