[Hat] Hat bug report: Ambiguous occurrence `List'

Fergus Henderson fjh007 at galois.com
Tue Jun 22 20:58:37 EDT 2004

On 22-Jun-2004, Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hoping you can re-build the hat-lib from sources.

I did indeed eventually succeed in building it from the CVS sources.
And the patch that you made solved the ambiguity problem.

However, unfortunately I then ran into another problem.
The symptom is

$ make hat
HATFLAGS=-I. hmake -hat -i. -i/usr/include/hat -i/home/users/fjh007/install/hat-cvs/include/hat -i./ghc -i./unix -package concurrent -package net -package posix -package hat -O -Wall -package-name galois  -Iunix/include -Iinclude   -c Codec/Base64.hs -o Hat/Codec/Base64.o
hat-trans -I. Codec/Base64.hs

Fail: /usr/local/include/hat/Data/Word.hx: openFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)

/usr/bin/haskell-compiler   -package concurrent -package net -package posix -package hat -O -Wall -package-name galois -c -o  -Iunix/include -Iinclude  -i. -i/usr/include/hat -i/home/users/fjh007/install/hat-cvs/include/hat -i./ghc -i./unix -iunix/include -iinclude  -c -package hat -o Hat/Codec/Base64.o Hat/Codec/Base64.hs
ghc-6.2: file `Hat/Codec/Base64.hs' does not exist
make: *** [Hat/Codec/Base64.o] Error 1

I'm not quite sure why it goes on and invokes /usr/bin/haskell-compiler after the openFile
failure.  But that's a side issue.  The main problem here seems to be that Hat doesn't support
the "Data.Word" module.  Is there any simple work-around?  I'm not particularly interested
in tracing that module.

--
Fergus J. Henderson                 |  "I have always known that the pursuit
Galois Connections, Inc.            |  of excellence is a lethal habit"