[Hat] Problems getting started

Thomas Davie hat@haskell.org
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:01:01 +0100

On Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003, at 17:19 Europe/London, Malcolm Wallace
wrote:

> Thomas Davie <tatd100@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately having gone back to v5.04.3 I'm back to the readline
>> errors.
>> I've been trying the build option to link against the fink copy again
>> but it still doesn't compile... I can't see a similar place in the
>> config file to add the relevant commands:
>
> Unfortunately, there is no attempt to detect readline in the Hat
> configuration scripts.  It simply assumes that if you use ghc,
> readline is available without extra arguments.
>
> Maybe the best thing to do is just to disable readline for now.  In
> Hat, it is only used for editing commands in the browser hat-observe,
> but can easily be omitted.  In the file src/hattools/Makefile, change
> the line
>
>     HMAKEFLAGS = -fglasgow-exts -package lang -package util
> -DUSE_READLINE=1
>     HMAKEFLAGS = -fglasgow-exts -package lang -package util
> -DUSE_READLINE=0

Hmm, that doesn't seem to have stopped make looking for readline:

[nimbus2:~/Desktop/project/hat-2.02] tatd100% make
cd src/hattools;      make HC=ghc install
hmake -hc=ghc -fglasgow-exts -package lang -package util
-DUSE_READLINE=0 SrcRefViewer \

-d/Users/tatd100/Desktop/project/hat-2.02/targets/powerpc-Darwin6/obj/
hattools
cd
/Users/tatd100/Desktop/project/hat-2.02/targets/powerpc-Darwin6/obj/
hattools && ghc  -fglasgow-exts -package lang -package util     -o
SrcRefViewer HighlightStyle.o Run.o SrcRefViewer.o
ld: can't locate file for: -lreadline
make[1]: ***
[/Users/tatd100/Desktop/project/hat-2.02/lib/powerpc-Darwin6/hat-view]
Error 1
make: *** [targets/powerpc-Darwin6/hat-tools-ghc] Error 2

Thanks

Tom Davie