[Hat] hat 2.00 make failure

Malcolm Wallace hat@haskell.org
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 12:27:07 +0100

Byron Hale <byron.hale@einfo.com> writes:

> The problem seems to be a bug in gcc 2.96:
> gcc: Internal Error: segmentation fault (program as)

Curious, because I have almost exactly the same environment as you:
    RedHat 7.2, i686, ghc-5.02.2, hmake-3.05, gcc-2.96
and it compiles just fine for me.

However, I have seen segmentation faults in gcc which are due to
hardware errors.  When I have watched this happen before, usually gcc
gives a seg fault, then if you restart the `make', it successfully
completes the task that failed before, then continues a bit further
and seg faults again.  You can do that a few times, but eventually
the whole system has a hard crash.

It often means either bad RAM, or your CPU is overheating.  Can you
check whether the processor cooling fans are operating correctly?
Older ball-bearing fans sometimes get sticky or clog up with dust
and no longer turn.  Also, I mentioned ACPI earlier, because that is
a form of hardware/BIOS control where often the CPU fans are only
switched on in response to a thermal sensor.  The Linux 2.4 series
kernels do not implement the thermal control, so it is very easy to
overheat the processor just by max-ing it out for 15-20 minutes.

Regards,
    Malcolm