[Haskell] ANN: cabal-install-0.14.0

Andres Löh andres.loeh at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 17 18:59:42 CEST 2012

I'm pleased to announce the long-awaited new release of

  cabal-install-0.14.0

If you are already using cabal-install then you can upgrade both using:

  $ cabal update
  $ cabal install Cabal cabal-install

New users you can get it from:

  http://haskell.org/cabal/download.html

For users on unix systems there is a source tarball with a bootstrap
script. For users on Windows systems there is a pre-compiled cabal.exe
(The Windows binary hasn't really been tested yet. Feedback welcome.)

Release notes
=============

cabal-install-0.14.0
--------------------

Changes since 0.10.2:

  * Works with ghc-7.4
  * Completely new modular dependency solver (default in most cases)
  * Some tweaks to old topdown dependency solver
  * Install plans are now checked for reinstalls that break packages
  * Flags --constraint and --preference work for nonexisting packages
  * New constraint forms for source and installed packages
  * New constraint form for package-specific use flags
  * New constraint form for package-specific stanza flags
  * Test suite dependencies are pulled in on demand
  * No longer install packages on --enable-tests when tests fail
  * New "cabal bench" command
  * Various "cabal init" tweaks

Future plans
------------

There will probably be another incremental 0.14.2 release in the
not too distant future, followed by an 0.16.0 release that should
work with ghc-7.6.

Bugs and feature requests
=========================

This is an excellent opportunity to make sure your favourite bug or
feature request is properly described in our bug tracker:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/

To help us guide development priorities please add yourself to the
ticket's cc list and describe why that bug or feature is important to
you.

Credits
=======

On behalf of the Cabal hackers and the community generally I'd like to
thank the people who have contributed patches for this release:

 * Tuncer Ayaz
 * Max Bolingbroke
 * Duncan Coutts
 * Ben Millwood