[Haskell] Gtk2Hs version 0.11.0 released

Axel Simon Axel.Simon at in.tum.de
Thu May 27 13:50:57 EDT 2010

Hi Bulat,

On 27.05.2010, at 19:14, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello Axel,
>
> Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 4:02:21 PM, you wrote:
>
>> the Gtk2Hs team is very happy to announce the release of version
>> 0.11.0, the first release that comes in Cabal packages!
>
>> can be built with GHC 6.10 and 6.12 and Cabal 1.6 and 1.8. However,
>
> does it mean that i can just issue "cabal install gtk" with any 6.10.*
> or 6.12.* version and it will be compiled automatically? overall, can
> you please give us details what Cabal support gives to us developers
> who uses gtk2hs?

In order to install Gtk2Hs, one has to indeed say

cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools
cabal install gtk

(assuming that ~/.cabal/bin is on your PATH). I has been suggested to
us that gtk2hs-buildtools should install a fake library, so that gtk
can depend on it and have the build tools installed as a side-effect.

About the benefits to the developers, I guess there are the obvious:

- an application x that depends on gtk can be compiled by saying
'cabal install x' (but see above)
- no more fiddling with ./configure in MinGW on Windows
- faster compilation time

Maybe I'm missing the point of your question, though.

Cheers,
Axel.