[Haskell] Re: Latest Haskell Platform for Windows (2010.1.0.0) does not seem to include C++ support

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 11:55:37 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 12:53 +0100, Jeremy O'Donoghue wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've just been helping out a wxHaskell user who has been having problems
> installing the latest wxHaskell on Windows 7 with the latest haskell
> Platform.
>
> As background, wxHaskell contains a substantial C++ wrapper which is
> normally compiled from the Cabal script. On Windows machines, this has
> the result that the GHC internal copy of MinGW is used for compilation.
>
> I'm getting the following error:
>
> "realgcc.exe: installation problem - cannot exec 'cc1plus': no such file
> or directory"
>
> On checking, Haskell Platform\2010.1.0.0\mingw\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5
> does not contain cc1plus.exe. Previous versions of the platform have
> done so. Is this an accidental change or a deliberate policy decision?
> Is there any way to persuade cabal to use another C++ compiler (I have a
> perfectly good copy of MinGW g++ elsewhere on my machine).
>
> Regards
> Jeremy O'Donoghue

Personally I believe there should be option with unbundled mingw (unless
it, which I don't think is a case except C++ in which GHC is not written
in, there are problems with mixing gcc versions). I find myself with
installed few different version of gcc/msys/perl/tcl/... in system just
because each program installs its own copy.

I'm even thinking about writing package manager for Windows to handle
the bundling problem but I don't think it'll succeed (Windows is not my
primary OS).

Regards