[Haskell] Re: on starting Haskell-Edu, a new education-related Haskell-related mailing list

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 03:19:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:20:51 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell
<DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:

>[...]
>
>The naming trend seems to be as follows:
>
>For beginner lists, as opposed to announcement-related lists:
>
>Iif the name of the domain does not include the language-name, then
>the list name is
>
><language-name>_beginners at domain-name
>
>For example, in the case of OCaml (see the aforementioned
>"ocaml_beginners : Ocaml Beginners" at
>http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners/#ans), it is
>
>ocaml_beginners at yahoogroups.com
>
>However, if the name of the domain includes the language-name, then
>the language-name is truncated from the list name, as follows:
>
>tutor@<language-name>.org
>
>For example, in the case of Python (see the aforementioned "Tutor Info
>Page" at http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor), it is
>
>tutor at python.org
>
>Since the overall response seems to be to prefer "beginners" for the
>list-name here, logic would seem to dictate that the optimal choice
>would be
>
>beginners at haskell.org

This is just a minor point, but I have been rereading through the
posts in this thread, and saw again a post by Paul Hudak mentioning
"haskell-beginners" as a possibility (04:38 on 2008/07/09); viz.:

> Using Simon's names, I think that there is a greater need for
> haskell-beginners than for haskell-edu.  Despite the friendly people on
> haskell-cafe, it is very intimidating, and very busy (sadly, I've mostly
> stopped reading it for the latter reason).  I don't think that
> haskell-cafe serves well at all as a forum for beginners, whereas it
> might serve just fine as a forum for instructors.

(see "haskell.org Mailing Lists" at
http://haskell.org/mailman/listinfo), and discovered that there seems
to be a kind of pattern where names that do not begin with "haskell"
seem to be devoted to specific compilers/tools/packages/etc. not
concerning general Haskell, whereas names that do seem to be devoted
to general Haskell issues.

In keeping with this trend, it might be a good idea to have
"haskell-beginners at haskell.org" after all, in line with
"haskell at haskell.org" and "haskell-cafe at haskell.org", to differentiate
the new general Haskell beginners list from more specialized lists
such as "blogs at haskell.org", "ffi at haskell.org", "hat at haskell.org", and
"helium at haskell.org".  The only exception that I can find to this
trend on that page is "wikibook at haskell.org", which stalled a few
months after launch, and specialized in the Wikibook anyway.

So perhaps "haskell-beginners at haskell.org" is not such a bad idea
after all....

Any comments?

-- Benjamin L. Russell