[Haskell] Re: on starting Haskell-Edu, a new education-related Haskell-related mailing list

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 05:34:06 EDT 2008

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 00:58:08 -0700, Michael Vanier
<mvanier at cs.caltech.edu> wrote:

>FYI there is precedent for this kind of thing in the functional programming world.  PLT Scheme has a
>Scheme mailing list and also a Scheme-in-education mailing list, which tackles the problems of
>trying to teach Scheme to new programmers.  If you start such a mailing list for Haskell, I'd like
>to be on it.

Thank you for your response.

It is interesting that you should mention PLT Scheme in particular,
because my idea was actually indirectly influenced by the
education-oriented culture on the plt-scheme mailing list, where I
also participate.  I use both Hugs (in addition to GHC) and DrScheme
frequently in studying Haskell and Scheme, and often write equivalent
programs in both Haskell and Scheme.  The two main functional
programming languages that I studied in college were Scheme and
Haskell as well.

Having seen the usefulness of Scheme in studying programming as part
of a liberal arts education there, I wondered whether Haskell could
not also fulfill this role.  I saw no reason that it couldn't.

However, over the last six months or so, I noticed that the same kind
of beginner-level questions on both languages tended to generate quite
different responses on plt-scheme and haskell-cafe.  Most of the
people there are educators, as opposed to researchers, and they tend
to be less impatient and more responsive to beginner-level questions
on the language, but there is less discussion there of research-level
topics.  It seemed that beginner-level discussion and research-level
discussion were each better served by different audiences, and that
beginner-level questions tended to bore and irritate researchers,
while research-level discussion tended to intimidate and weed out
beginners, particularly those either lacking mathematical
sophistication or who did not write in a formal, academic style.  This
distinction seemed to become especially significant in mathematical
topics.

Thus, I perceived a need for a less research-oriented, more liberal
arts-oriented discussion forum for educators and beginner-level
students of Haskell.  This is what led to my proposal.

As an aside, these two languages seem to have an indirect influence on
each other.  For example, recently, a variety of Scheme called "Typed
Scheme" has appeared (as a part of PLT Scheme), whose syntax loosely
resembles Haskell.  Originally, it did not have type signatures, but
these were added later, most likely as a result of influence from
either Haskell or a very similar typed functional programming
language.

On the other hand, in the paper "A History of Haskell: Being Lazy With
Class"
(http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/history-of-haskell/history.pdf),
the authors quote (on page 3) an anonymous reviewer as writing the
following:

> "An interesting sidelight is that the Friedman and Wise paper ["Cons should
> not evaluate its arguments" (Friedman and Wise, 1976)] inspired Sussman
> and Steele to examine lazy evaluation in Scheme, and for a time they
> weighed whether to make the revised version of Scheme call-by-name or
> call-by-value. They eventually chose to retain the original call-by-value
> design, reasoning that it seemed much easier to simulate call-by-name in a
> call-by-value language (using lambda-expressions as thunks) than to
> simulate call-by-value in a call-by-name language (which requires a separate
> evaluation-forcing mechanism). Whatever we might think of that
> reasoning, we can only speculate on how different the academic
> programming-language landscape might be today had they made the
> opposite decision."

The influence of Scheme and the participation of Gerry Sussman in
early academic conferences in the evolution of functional programming
is also mentioned in several other places in that paper on Haskell.

In addition, the HaskellWiki page on "Continuation"
(http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Continuation) specifically cites
Haskellized Scheme examples from Wikipedia.

All this has led me to believe that Haskell should be fully capable of
fulfilling a non-strict, purely functional alternative of Scheme,
based on the simply typed, rather than the untyped, lambda calculus,
in teaching programming as part of a liberal arts curriculum, too.

But first, we probably need an appropriate mailing list for this kind
of discussion.

-- Benjamin L. Russell