[Haskell] Job programming in F#

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 27 17:20:48 EDT 2007

Want to be paid to write functional programs?  My colleagues here at Cambridge are looking for you.  See below.

Simon

A position has arisen within our Applied Games Team in Cambridge for a Software Development Engineer (SDE).  The role of the SDE will be to design, implement and maintain solutions based on new technology in the very competitive web search and advertising arena. In this position you will be working closely with researchers to analyze very large data sets, and with product teams to have the research applied. Please see job description attached for full details.

Any machine learning or functional programming experience (particularly F#) is highly desirable, however not essential as training will be provided for the right candidate.

Background: We are establishing a virtual team for applied research between adCenter's Research & Mining group and Microsoft Research Cambridge's Applied Games group. The mission of the team is to conduct applied research into problems relevant for Microsoft's online advertisement business and to transfer resulting technology to adCenter.

1. Design, implement and maintain solutions.
2. Assist researchers to analyze data and provide rapid prototypes for new technology.
3. Transferring technology to product teams.

Knowledge, Skills and Experience
1) Essential Experience
* Three years SQL Server Programming experience.
* Three years .Net Programming experience.

2) Technical / Functional Skills
* Knowledge of SQL programming.
* Knowledge of C# and .Net programming.
* Experience with Agile methods

3) Personal Attributes / Interpersonal Skills
* Good communication skills ideally with some client facing experience.
* Self-motivated.
* Willingness to travel.
* Interest in cutting edge research

Special Requirements/Additional Information

Must be willing to live and work in the UK; but also be prepared to travel frequently to the US. Any machine learning or functional programming experience particularly F# is highly desirable but not essential as training will be provided for the right candidate.

To apply please send your current curriculum vitae (CV) to our Human Resources Department by email: cambhr at microsoft.com