[Haskell] Re: Haskell web forum

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Wed Sep 20 15:29:12 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-20, Niklas Broberg <niklas.broberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > i definitely think that to rise up Haskell popularity we need now to
>> > create web forum.
>>
>> I disagree with this. I don't like web forums, I don't use web forums
>> if I can avoid it. They're way more work than mailing lists.
>
> And I disagree with you. I don't like mailing lists, and I don't use
> them if I can avoid it. They're way more work than web forums. For the
> end user at least, if perhaps not for the administrator. ;-)

And I disagree with you.  Web forums are usenet reinvented poorly.
It's impossible to keep track of what's new, threading is either poor or
nonexistent.  Mailing lists with searchable archives work well.  gmane
provides a nice usenet interface to mailing lists.

> It's all there, all the time.

Yes, that's part of the problem.

> It is also  easy to create sub-groups/forums for specific projects,

This is the one semi-useful thing.  Of course, what you end up with is
another not-so-useful forum.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-