[Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: HNOP 0.1

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Fri Jun 30 04:12:39 EDT 2006

In article <44A4D5FD.9050604 at cs.caltech.edu>,
 mvanier <mvanier at cs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Incidentally, on my machine the compiled code is 2759360 bytes long
> unstripped
> and 1491240 stripped.  One has to wonder what all those bytes are doing.  I
> hope
> this doesn't sound petty; I love haskell and ghc, but 2.8 meg for a no-op
> program seems a bit excessive.

What platform are you running? On my Mac hnop compiles to 293848 bytes
(221980 stripped), while on Linux it compiles to 241376 (164320
stripped).

It would be interesting to compile it with John Meacham's Jhc, which
claims to leave very little overhead in its executables. I know the
current Jhc has a limit on total program size, but the current HNOP at
least may slip under the wire (and I don't make any use of arrays, so it
shouldn't be too slow).

> I think the program could also benefit from a configure script and autotools.
> But it's a great start.

Thanks!

--
Ashley Yakeley