[Haskell] A road for Haskell into the kernel of a full-fledged OS

Greg Buchholz haskell at sleepingsquirrel.org
Fri Jun 2 14:01:09 EDT 2006

Joel Reymont wrote:

> I think this is an awesome idea. I believe the folks at Galois have
> customized the Haskell runtime for embedded devices but... I wonder
> if us mere mortals will spend more time fighting laziness (and thus
> high memory usage) than focusing on driver functionality.

    In a similar vein, the Coyotos Project ( http://coyotos.org/ ) is
writing their own language, BitC, to support their microkernel...

http://www.coyotos.org/docs/bitc/spec.html

    "BitC is conceptually derived in various measure from Standard ML,
    Scheme, and C. Like Standard ML [10], BitC has a formal semantics,
    static typing, a type inference mechanism, and type variables. Like
    Scheme [8], BitC uses a surface syntax that is readily represented as
    BitC data. Like C [1], BitC provides full control over data structure
    representation, which is necessary for high-performance systems
    programming. The BitC language is a direct expression of the typed
    lambda calculus with side effects, extended to be able to reflect the
    semantics of explicit representation."

Greg Buchholz