[Haskell] regular expression syntax - perl ain't got nothin on haskell

Hal Daume III hdaume at ISI.EDU
Tue Feb 24 07:18:58 EST 2004

just as another sample point...

i write 99% of my code in either haskell or perl.  haskell tends to be for
the longer programs, perl tends to be for the shorter ones, though the
decision is primarily made for only one reason:

  - if the overhead to write the string processing code in haskell
    is outweighed by the overall length of the program, use haskell.
    otherwise, use perl.

i would be very very happy to abandon perl all together, but, for the most
part, this isn't a niche haskell has been able to fit well in to yet.

 - hal

p.s., certainly this is at least somewhat unique to me, but almost all of
the data i work with is unstructured text for two reasons.  first, that's
how it naturally comes.  second, to throw xml or some other scheme on to
it will balloon the data sizes to unmanagable amounts, with little gain.

 Hal Daume III                                   | hdaume at isi.edu
 "Arrest this man, he talks in maths."           | www.isi.edu/~hdaume