GHC code generation

Graham Klyne gk@ninebynine.org
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:08:09 +0100

In an exchange of ideas with a friend, this question arose:

[[
I've been looking at GHC, and it looks like it has generates machine code
directly rather than via C--. I know that Simon Peyton Jones (famous in the
Haskell world) is one of the authors of C--, but I can find no direct
connection between this and GHC or Haskell. Have you any idea where I might
find this connection?
]]

In my discussion with him, I had assumed that GHC generates code via C--
and a version of the GCC compiler (why else is GCC part of the GHC
installation?).  Can anyone shed any light or pointers?

Thanks.

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org