Haskell for non-Haskell's sake

Graham Hutton gmh@Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:15:53 +0100

I use Haskell for processing the examination marks of our 900
students.  Our University has a system that can do all of this,
but to ensure that I understood all the rules and regulations
I coded up a simple version in Haskell, which comprises around
400 lines.  It takes a CSV (comma separated values) file downloaded
from our central marks database, from which five different marks
reports can be produced, which are then written out as CSV files
for viewing and further processing using Excel.  Interesting,
this simple Haskell program showed that the University system
implemented one of the progression rules incorrectly :-)

Graham

| Dr Graham Hutton                     Email : gmh@cs.nott.ac.uk      |
| School of Computer Science and IT    Web   : www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh |
| University of Nottingham                                            |
| Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road                                       |
| Nottingham NG8 1BB                   Phone : +44 (0)115 951 4220    |
| United Kingdom                       Fax   : +44 (0)115 951 4254    |