Eval in Haskell

Tomasz Zielonka t.zielonka@students.mimuw.edu.pl
Sat, 31 May 2003 09:48:37 +0200

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 07:57:57PM -0700, oleg@pobox.com wrote:

> The context:
> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2003-February/003912.html
>
> Furthermore, if GHCi can (after some prodding by the user) launch ghc
> to compile a module and then load the resulting .o file in and
> apply some function in thus loaded file, doesn't it feel like an eval?

I noticed that GHCi forgets all defined variables after loading any
modules - this can be a (probably minor) problem.

I don't know how it works in Python, but in perl the code in eval is
executed in current lexical scope. I think it could be difficult to
emulate this in a language like Haskell. Hmmm, GHCi seems to do that
internally, so maybe it could be possible, but the resulting extension
would work only in interpreted mode.

Best regards,
Tom

--
.signature: Too many levels of symbolic links