ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.0

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 17:02:16 +0100

=20
> Congratulations on the new release. But out of curiosity, I've got to
> ask...
>=20
> 	Why is the test suite now driven by a python script? Is this a
>       niche where a 'scripting' language was deemed more suitable than
>       haskell?

The test driver makes use of 'eval'-style scripting, which none of the
existing Haskell systems has. =20

Template Haskell does provide a kind of 'eval', but it is compile-time
rather than run-time.  That's interesting though: I hadn't thought about
it, but it might be possible to implement the test framework as a
Haskell library which uses Template Haskell.

Cheers,
	Simon