Interesting Read (fwd)

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:26:38 +1100

G'day.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 09:46:02AM -0600, Rex Page wrote:

> Here are two things I found interesting:
>   1. The author comments that programs are not theorems.

No, he argues that programming _languages_ are not theorems.

All that is required of a theorem is that it is correct.

A tool, on the other hand, not only has to work (i.e. it has to
correctly accomplish some task), it also has to be safe to use, its
controls must be meaningful to the intended user, it should be in
some way better than the tool which it replaces and so on.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage