Pretty printing (was: Standard Library for text formatting?)

Dr Mark H Phillips mark@austrics.com.au
26 Aug 2002 18:53:52 +0930

Hi again,

After doing some searching, it seems that "pretty printing" is
a prominant "Haskell way" of doing text output.  I still am
interested in finding a library of standard text formatting
(String formatting) functions, but it seems like it might
be worth my while investigating pretty printing.

So far there seem to be three candidate pretty printing
libraries:

1. A library by Simon Peyton Jones

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/downloads/pretty-printer/pretty.html

2. A library by the Software Technology Group

http://www.cs.uu.nl/groups/ST/Software/PP/

3. The following library

http://www.cs.uu.nl/~daan/pprint.html

(This one doesn't seem to be mentioned at haskell.org --- any
reason why?)

Could anyone comment on the pros and cons of each of these
libraries, plus any other libraries I've missed that are
worth of note?  It would be helpful to know what libraries
are worth investing my time finding out about.

(And of course, I'd still love to hear about simple string
formatting libraries.)

Cheers,

Mark.

--
Dr Mark H Phillips
Research Analyst (Mathematician)

AUSTRICS - smarter scheduling solutions - www.austrics.com

Level 2, 50 Pirie Street, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia
Phone +61 8 8226 9850
Fax   +61 8 8231 4821
Email mark@austrics.com.au