.net and haskell

Nigel Perry N.Perry@massey.ac.nz
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:59:13 +0200

At 10:27 am -0700 26/10/00, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>|  I was reading some .net stuff (ducks) on microsoft, and they
>| mentioned haskell as one of the languages someone was
>| targetting for it.
>| Anyone know anything about this project?
>
>I know of several stabs in this direction, none completed.
>
>- There is most of a Java back end for GHC
>
>- There are various pieces of a C# back end for GHC,
>	compiling via in intermediate generic OO language
>	called GOO.  Nigel Perry is working on this (actively
>	I think)

This is indeed being worked on. Currently user code compiles (as far as it
has been tested) but there is no prelude yet so it doesn't run too well ;-)
The code generator was designed for research and supporting scripting,
which is a kind way of saying it doesn't produce blazingly fast code.

>- Don Syme and Reuben Thomas are working on a back end for
>	GHC that compiles to a polymorphically-typed IL for .NET
>	that is Don's baby.  A lot of this works, but it's not complete.
>
>Maybe others are doing stuff too?   It's a pity that there's nothing
>that's usable yet, but I hope that'll change.

Cheers,
	Nigel