Hugs and Linux

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.oz.au
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:07:23 +1100

On 10-Nov-2000, david.landell@stud.ki.se <david.landell@stud.ki.se> wrote:

> I can't get hugs98 to work under my linuxplatform. I have the Red
> Hat distirbution 7.0.
> The problem is that hugs requires a file called "readline.so.3" and
> I have "readline.so.4" on my system. Does anyone know how to get
> around this problem??

One *possible* work-around is to just try linking readline.so.4 to
readline.so.3.

In general that won't work, because the interface to readline.so.4
will be different from the interface to readline.so.3 (that's why they
gave it a new major number).  But Hugs probably doesn't use that much
of the interface to readline (e.g. there's no support for command-line
completion, except the default file-name completion), so the difference
*might* not matter.

It's certainly worth a try ;-)

Cheers,
	Fergus.