Quo vadis?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 5 17:05:32 UTC 2018

I think the difficulty has always been in finding enough people who are

* Well-informed and well-qualified
* Willing to spend the time to standardise language features

GHC does not help the situation: it's a de-facto standard, which reduces the incentives to spend time in standardisation.

I don’t think we should blame anyone for not wanting to invest this time -- no shame here.  It is a very significant commitment, as I know from editing the Haskell 98 report and the incentives are weak.  Because of that, I am not very optimistic about finding such a group -- we have been abortively trying for several years.

If we want to change that, the first thing is to build a case that greater standardisation is not just an "abstract good" that we all subscribe to, but something whose lack is holding us back.

Simon