The first proposal has been merged

Mario Blažević blamario at ciktel.net
Tue Nov 27 03:28:35 UTC 2018

     Break out the champagne, because the first Haskell 2020 proposal
has been fully merged [1]. By fully merged, I mean that the text of the
report has been updated, so we have accomplished something material.
Should the Haskell 2020 commitee agree so, we now have the option to
declare the Haskell 2018 standard finished, merge the report text back
into the official Haskell Report, and hand it over to future generations.

     Admittedly the RFC in question, -XRelaxedPolyRec, was probably the
most trivial possible. My preference would be for the members of the
committee to follow the lead of this proposal and apply the same process
to more significant issues.

The process to follow is:

1. Take any RFC you're interested in from the In Discussion column of
the repo project (https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/projects/1).
Alternatively, write up a new proposal, put it up for discussion, and
wait a decent time.

2. If there is no serious objection to the proposal after a while, make
sure all technical objections are addressed and move the RFC to the Last
Call column. Declare on the mailing list that you've done so.

3. Modify the text of the report on the same branch where the RFC is
written up. If there is no objection to the proposal in the Last Call
status in the following two weeks (and there is some approval), move the
proposal into the Ready for Report column and declare so on the mailing
list.

4. Leave at least another two weeks to refine the details of the Report
text, then merge the RFC.

[1] https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/pull/17