Are there GHC extensions we'd like to incorporate wholesale?

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at cs.kuleuven.be
Wed May 4 06:51:26 UTC 2016

As an outsider, I would like to suggest thinking about MonoLocalBinds.  GHC
has a rather convincing story (at least to me) that "(local) let should not
be generalised" (since it becomes problematic in combination with several
other language extensions) and the journal version of the OutsideIn(X)
paper has empirical data that indicates it is not a big problem to remove.
If there is a concern about backwards compatibility, perhaps the committee
could deprecate local let generalisation in Haskell2020 and remove it in a
subsequent iteration of the report?

Regards,
Dominique