Self-nomination

Andres Löh andres.loeh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:36:42 UTC 2015

Hi.

I'd like to nominate myself for membership in the new Haskell Prime committee.

About me:

* I've been a Haskell user since 1997.
* Back then, to learn Haskell, I read the entire Haskell 1.4 language report.
* I have experience in programming languages theory and language
design, with most of my research focusing on datatype-generic
programming in Haskell (e.g. the stuff that is currently available as
DeriveGeneric etc in GHC).
* I have extensive experience in teaching Haskell, both in an academic
and a commercial context.
* I was a member of the Haskell 2010 committee.

I'd like to contribute to the new standardization effort, and am very
grateful to hvr for taking the lead. I believe that the current system
of accumulating more and more language extensions is only sustainable
in the long term if we shift the baseline from time to time. Even more
than just making a decision on what a new "Haskell" could and should
look like, I think that a likely benefit of the standardization
process will be that we improve the documentation of extensions,
reveal dark corners of underspecficiation and strange interactions,
and perhaps can help to clean up certain things here and there.

Cheers,
  Andres