prefix minus and infix resolution

Atze Dijkstra atze at cs.uu.nl
Wed Jul 14 07:01:52 EDT 2010

Hi,

I prefer the simplicity of http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/NegationBindsTightly over the more involved proposal. I think we should take every opportunity to simplify matters instead of complicating them. Although each individual improvement (like this) seems harmless, beneficial, and easy to implement, it is the combination of such features which often has given me unexpected implementation headaches (e.g. interaction with operator sections, or layout rule). More complex means more implementation effort means fewer tools which can assist with Haskell syntax, e.g. editing environments will have a tougher job of parsing correctly, fewer implementers will implement it. I'd gladly pay the price of adding some parenthesis to force "- x ^ 2" to "- (x ^ 2)". This is also much more clearer, less dependent on context info (i.e. the fixity of other operators), thus understandable without inspecting the definition of ^ in some other module, and thus also easier to explain (to students), and thus lessening the steepness of Haskells learning curve somewhat.

cheers,