Unsafe hGetContents

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 13:59:33 EDT 2009

Hello,

well, I think that the fact that we seem to have a program context
that can distinguish "f1" from "f2" is worth discussing because I
would have thought that in a pure language they are interchangable.
The question is, does the context in Oleg's example really distinguish
between "f1" and "f2"?  You seem to be saying that this is not the
case:  in both cases you end up with the same non-deterministic
program that reads two numbers from the standard input and subtracts
them but you can't assume anything about the order in which the
numbers are extracted from the input---it is merely an artifact of the
GHC implementation that with "f1" the subtraction always happens the
one way, and with "f2" it happens the other way.

I can (sort of) buy this argument, after all, it is quite similar to
what happens with asynchronous exceptions (f1 (error "1") (error "2")
vs f2 (error "1") (error "2")).  Still, the whole thing does not
"smell right":  there is some impurity going on here, and trying to
offload the problem onto the IO monad only makes reasoning about IO
computations even harder (and it is petty hard to start with).  So,
discussion and alternative solutions should be strongly encouraged, I
think.

-Iavor