On the Meaning of Haskell 7

John D. Earle JohnDEarle at cox.net
Mon Nov 30 14:56:41 EST 2009

This may be the last in the series given that Simon Marlow feels that I am being non-sequitur. I on the other hand feel that I am being very much on topic. To quote Dune, "They move in mysterious ways." I wanted to complete a thought and I thought to end it on number 7.

My guess is why the case-of construct is preferred is due to Haskell being a functional language. In other words the world is to be wrapped up into a ball and passed like a basketball. The if-then-else paradigm holds a world view where the world consists of disparate parts to be accessed and tested, however. This supports my thesis. It may be worth considering the removal of if-then-else as opposed to fixing it.

Simon Marlow wrote "haskell-prime at haskell.org is specifically for discussing proposals for changes in future revisions of the Haskell language." I have an anti-proposal. Do not change anything unless you know what you are doing. Don't make a proposal unless you know what you are saying.